Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Fusion Quilt measuring
 approximately 36 x 42
Many very snowy days gave me the luxury of "playing" in my workroom.  This was inspired by a fusion quilt (I didn't know that was what it was called at the time) posted  asfusion quilt on Pinterest.  I used a Romantic floral layer cake from Keepsake Quilting. I cut these in quarters, sandwiched cotton batting and orphan floral fabrics and sewed around the edge.  Turned them right sides out, pressed, and blanket stitched around the perimeter with Aunt Lydia crochet thread .  The blanket stitch became the anchor for my crochet around the edge. 

 It was similar to making a Granny square.  The picture had crocheted flowers but after several tries I was dissatisfied with those flowers.  However, I did not like the way the four corners came together.  An art teacher who crochets suggested yoyos at the corner.  She suggested a button in the center but I felt this was just made the piece too heavy.
The pictures don't do this justice.  It is soft and flirty.   I am planning a second one at the present time but using the entire 10 inch layer cake pieces and quilting each of the blocks before blanket stitching them.  One with Kaffe Fassett fabric would give an entirely different look.

No comments:

Post a Comment